Saturday 5 August 2017

Crafts and Syria

This is a little story of how fun camp can be if you try and say hello to get to know and meet as many new people as you can, all over the place.

As a GC I can be found all over camp and I have become adept at identifying confused and lost campers and helping them find thier way. Its my job role after all! In doing this around camp I met two lovely smiling brothers from Syria. After pleasant chats all over the place we became friends and ended up spending an afternoon period in crafts together.

It was so interesting to get to know them, they had come over to Canada last year through a refugee program with their whole family. Both of them loved asking questions about my life and family whilst working on a project for their Mom and Dad. Because I have lived and worked all over the world and love to doodle I did them a little sketch of the gloabe and coloured the places where I had been. As well as pictures and names of the jobs I had worked. I even cartooned the boys as ski or snowboarders which they adored!

They also found it funny that my whole family was back in England and said "Why don't you bring them all to Canada? That's what we did and we're so happy now." Such bright, happy kids who never fail to give me a friendly smile and wave as we go about our days.





1 comment: