Thursday 22 June 2017

My Week In Ottawa

The past few days have been amazing. Getting back in touch with a dear friend and his family, and getting to know the nations capital has been great fun! Ottawa is a lovely clean city which was nice to walk around and only a couple of bus rides from Nicks digs in the suburbs. Quite lovely suburbs where you can find the classic wide roads, neat houses and friendly young neighbours.





It was a funny visit. The bloke that greeted me at the station was far from the fresh faced, short haired kid I had known all those years ago. Fracaphone Nick had obviously picked up some styling tips from Montreal from the years he lived there.


But it was instantly just like old times, and everyone in the family was keen to be filled in on the news from back home. It was lovely to be accepted as family. That being said, I definitely worked for my rent! They had moved in 6 months ago so were still busy with making the household their own. So the day after I arrived I was outside all day, getting my hands dirty with the lads of the house reshaping the garden! The pictures above were our well earned reward. I'll have to get some pictures.

The next day I was absolutely shattered so we had a relaxed day and went to some of the outlets nearby where I stocked up on essentials for camp. The usual: toiletries, spare trainers and bug spray! I'm so afraid of being bitten to death after Mitsey warned me on my very first train ride in Toronto. But I feel prepared now. And then followed by a Father's Day treat - Chinese. Get in.

By now it was Monday - about time we got the bus into downtown Ottawa. Where nick had hardly been himself! So the exploration was good for him too. Luckily for us ribsfest was still on in the city centre so I had so kicksss BBQ ribs and then we went to Nando's. A throwback for Nick as they're less common  across the pond. The afternoon was spent wandering round the natural history museum but we were soon spent (that gardening work I tell you..) so we went and got the bus sharpish.






Tuesday was another day in the suburbs chilling at home and long boarding to the park to chuck a ball around. The evening was especially enjoyable - went to see wonder woman (me, nick and his sister Ellie) which was amazing. However I have some disturnpbing news about the popcorn.. they serve it savoury with some butter. But not only that, there is a machine with which you can add MORE butter. Blech. 


Wednesday! Familly trip into town where we saw 100s of people doing yoga on Parliament hill! Where was my invite? Turns out it's a weekly free session and it looks so fun. I'll have to come back eh? Instead we headed straight to byward market. A bustling area with tonnes of markets, food joints and stands celebrating the 150th anniversary of Canada being a thing. So naturally I'm decked out in Canadian wear ready for July 1st which promises to be fun. The capital certainly seemed in the spirtit! At byward market we had brunch at my dinner.. that's right! Zak's Dinner exists and has damn food. But no medium mens t shirts.. damn. Another reason to return! We also savoured the delights of the famous Beaver Tail pastries, dangerously tastes. I mean, look at that face.






Which brings us to today, travel day. But also a day of firsts - my first Tim Hortons donut and "double double" (drip coffee with double cream and double sugar.. Its hardly a coffee but fun to try!) One VIA train journey later and a short walk and I should end up in the CCUSA booked hostel on church street, Toronto called HI-Toronto hostel which apparently hosts a pub crawl every Thursday evening so we'll see if I make it in time for that! 

Tomorrow will be a good day touristing Toronto with some of my camp colleagues after they do all their bank and business nonsense- ahaha I've already done all that! 

Until next time, love to my family xxx

Ps. Not sure if I'll be able to update when I get to camp but we'll see. THE ADVENTURE IS BEGINNING.. HYPE




1 comment:

  1. Great update! The food looks great, need to nail that diner T-shirt! Hope the pub crawl is fun with the lads and lasses from camp. Enjoy, brings back happy memories from NYC and Winaukee! x

    ReplyDelete